~Tuition includes kit of aromatherapy oils~
This 3 day Introduction to Aromatherapy course provides an opportunity to learn how to safely use a selection of essential oils in a variety of ways, for the benefit of the individual, their families and clients. Learn about the history and origins of aromatherapy, basic chemistry of an essential oil, safety precautions, inhalation and dermal absorption, safe dilutions, blending for health support, along with uses for every day ailments for the young and the old.
- Define the term Aromatherapy
- Outline the timeline of the history of Aromatherapy
- Differentiate between an essence and an essential oil
- Differentiate the methods of extraction and the benefits and disadvantages of each
- Recognize the importance of essential oil quality and how it affects the use of the oil
- Identify Taxonomy and be familiar with plant families that produce essential oils
- Recognize and define functional groups within the chemical constituents of an essential oil
- Recognize the adulteration process of essential oils
- Discuss how to purchase and safely store essential oils to maintain quality and longevity
- Demonstrate an understanding of safe dilutions for children, the elderly and the client with impaired health
- Describe the process of olfaction and it’s effect on the mind and body
- Define the mechanical process of dermal absorption
- Identify the various methods of essential oil applications
- Implement therapeutic, creative and synergistic blending techniques
- Recognize the properties of 28 essential oils
- Evaluate contraindications for essential oil use
- Demonstrate the uses of hydrosols
- Demonstrate the benefits and uses of 6 cold pressed vegetable carrier oils
- Understand the benefits of essential oils in skincare
- Identify the use of essential oils to benefit each body system
- Prepare their own essential oil products by utilizing class knowledge
- Identify reliable sources for research and reference material on safe essential oil use
About the Instructor:
Nicola McGill, LLSA, LMT, NCTMB, CLT, has over 15 years of experience in the field of massage and bodywork both in the U.S. and the United Kingdom. She is a graduate of the London School of Aromatherapy and received diplomas in Reflex Touch and Manual Lymphatic Drainage in Professional Practice at Anglia Polytechnic University, U.K.
Upon relocating to the U.S., Nicola received extensive training in the field of oncology massage - including scar tissue release for post-mastectomy patients - under the instruction of Gayle MacDonald, MS, LMT and Sandy Canzone, DOM. In 2010, Nicola received her Lymphedema Therapy Certification through Klose Training and Consulting. She also completed the Breast Cancer Rehabilitation, Head and Neck Lymphedema Management, and refresher MLD classes with Klose Training.
In her clinical practice, Nicola utilizes her bodywork skills as an Aromatherapist, massage therapist, and MLD practitioner to treat a wide range of medical conditions, both chronic and acute, including conditions related to the respiratory, digestive, muscular-skeletal, nervous, and reproductive systems. She also provides individual aromatherapy consultations for clients requiring customized blends for skin care and general health-promoting practices.
Since May 2008, Nicola has been on staff at Boulder Community Hospital (BCH) as an Oncology Massage and Lymphedema Therapist. She promotes education and lymphedema risk-reduction practices at cancer support groups and individual treatment sessions while working alongside the Rocky Mountain Cancer Center (RMCCC) and the BCH team of healthcare providers.
Since November 2008, Nicola has been on staff at Avanti Physical Therapy in Boulder and is a team member of the Boulder Cancer Survivorship Program, offering Oncology Massage, Breast Cancer Rehabilitation and lymphedema Management.