Nancy Dail, BA, LMT, NCTMB
June 2, 3, 2012
Saturday 9-5 PM and Sunday 9-4PM
13 CE Hours
$250 ($100 deposit)
**THIS WORKSHOP IS NOW CLOSED. WE ARE STILL TAKING WALK IN REGISTRATIONS.**
*10% off for TLC Graduates and students
Conditions and pathologies covered: Strains and Sprains and Soft-Tissue Dysfunction of Low Back Muscles including: Erector Spinae, Quadradus Lumborum, Latissimus dorsi, Gluteals and more, Greater trochanteric Pain Syndrome, Sciatica, Piriformis Syndrome, Meralgia peresthetica, Degenerative joint disease, and more! This workshop will use dimensional massage therapy to explore, evaluate, and treat a variety of common difficult low back, hip joint and pelvic girdle conditions. Nancy will lecture on the skeletal and neurological anatomy of the low back, hip joint and pelvic girdle, and specific etiologies, signs, symptoms that are related to the pathologies of this area.
She will provide a review of the muscular anatomy of the low back, hip joint and pelvic girdle, trigger points, and referred pain patterns. The relationship of the hip and pelvic girdle to the lower back will be explored along with potential gait issues. Nancy will demonstrate techniques used in Dimensional Massage Therapy (techniques using deep tissue strokes and methods designed to balance joints by working on all the muscles that produce, assist in, or oppose the actions of, or stabilize the joint). Careful attention will be given to the execution of these techniques, specific muscles and their idiosyncrasies, and the individual structure of the receiving person on the table.
- To provide a close examination of the muscular, skeletal, and nervous system structure of the hip joint and pelvic girdle.
- To review a variety of low back, hip joint, and pelvic girdle conditions
- To explore normal and abnormal vertebral structure, lumbar disc structure, sites of mechanisms of nerve impingement
- To discuss historical considerations of aspects of disorders that would warrant clinical referral.
- To take a critical look at how posture and repetitive holding patterns affect the muscles of the low back, hip joint, and pelvic girdle.
- To review trigger points and referred pain patterns of the muscles of the low back, hip joint, and pelvic girdle.
- To provide a hands-on physical assessment
- To practice under supervision Dimensional Massage Therapy techniques for the low back, gluteals and lateral rotators, hip joint, abdominal, and thigh musculature.
- To explore ways to critically think about sequences, muscles, and techniques.
- To answer questions in relation to the workshop.
- To provide a Bibliography for additional reading and study.
Nancy W. Dail, BA, LMT, NCTMB has been a practicing professional massage therapist since 1974. She is the founder and director of the COMTA accredited program at the Downeast School of Massage in Waldoboro, Maine (USA) (1980). A leader in her field, Nancy presents workshops internationally, is certified in Orthopedic and Sports Massage, and has developed the working philosophy of Dimensional Massage Therapy as lead author in Kinesiology for Manual Therapies published by McGraw-Hill. Her BA in Health, Arts, and Science from Goddard College helps her balance her administrative duties as Director with teaching Dimensional Massage Therapy, Advanced Skills, Kinesiology and related subjects at DSM.